Saturday, June 8, 2013

Random week off, and this was supposed to be about recovery

Why is it so hard for me to blog?  I have no problem reading other people’s blogs…never miss a beat there.  Maybe I should give it up?  One more try to be consistent!

Let’s get workouts out of the way.  This week was weird.  I had a killer, awesome OUTSIDE speed workout on Monday.  Then, it went downhill.  I didn’t really “run” until today, Saturday.  I don’t know what happened.  I have no problem working out, I mentally could NOT run Tuesday.  

I dreaded it.  

So, I didn’t.  

Which led to more days off.  I did this girl's workouts (Blonde Ponytail).  

I am so sore.  

I don’t think I’ve ever felt my LOWER abs…you know the ones you always try to make sore…the ones that give us the most trouble…well, YEAH, they’re freaking SORE!  I’ll be keeping an eye on her workouts and use them frequently! 

So, Monday was beautiful.  It was 2 mile warmup, 6 x 1 mile repeats with 2:30 minute recovery jog, 3 mile cooldown.  I was very proud of myself for hitting my target time in the first two, and the FINAL repeats.  This is HARD for me to do outside.  Given the workout on a treadmill, I would’ve hit the paces, even 20 seconds per mile faster, no problem.  Clearly, I need to run my speed workouts outside.  

One VERY important thing running intervals on the treadmill has taught me is...

the cadence I need to hit certain times.  THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.  Now, if I can only get my LEGS to not give out when I'm outside, we’ll be all good.

So, adjusting my training schedule, the trail run in June was rained out.  Rescheduled to July.  Fine with me.  I haven’t been consistent with my marathon training, so I’m pushing it back to following the 18 week schedule.  Doesn’t really matter, because the first part is base training anyway, and I already USUALLY hold a base of at least 60.  So, no pressure here!

I ran a 5k in May…sucked terribly.  I think the humidity was 100%.  I don’t want to make excuses, but seriously, heat & humidity DO ME IN!!  I’m a much better cold weather racer.  I still managed to pull off 2nd in my age group.  Although, I was really upset with my time because it was about the same I ran in November.  Yeah.  All this training, and I’m still at the same level as the fall.  

Fabulous.  

I understand you can’t train for marathons and expect to run well in 5k’s.  But, I feel you should consistently BETTER yourself.  So, not clocking a better time is very hard on me.

Today’s workout was Blonde Ponytail’s "Out of the Box Workout".  Then, later I jumped on the treadmill for 8.  I ran the interval run I usually do to complete the 8 in less than an hour.  OH MY HOLY MARY MOTHER OF JESUS.  If you would’ve heard me from another room, you would have thought I was having the most unbelievable, mind blowing sex ever.  Sorry for the visual and if I offended anyone…just want to give you an idea of how I was huffing, puffing, moaning, DROOLING, I think at one point I almost collapsed and vomited.  My daughter turned around and gave me the eye…like are you gonna make it?  I don’t know why it’s so easy for me to push myself in my own workouts.  When it comes to a race, I simply have no desire to compete with others.  


I compete with MYSELF only.  

I think that’s what kills my race times.  I push myself so hard in workouts and when it comes to a race, I really don’t care too much.  Hmmmmm, something is going on there. 

I listened to a podcast recently about competing, and the main thing running coaches LOVE to see in runners is….

You need a runner who HATES to lose more than LOVES to win. 

Coaches want this quality in athletes.  It’s a killer instinct that wins.  

I don’t have it.  

I compete with myself.  I’m learning to adjust things.  Maybe I’ll get there.


So, I had a recover post all ready to go.  I really want to talk about some key things that work for me.  I consistently hold high mileage, am getting up there in age!  Keep up with 3 kids, have a full time job, part time job (which consists of running lol), and have KNOCK ON WOOD managed to maintain major injury free and able to carry on with high mileage, quality workouts, and HIIT training.  I’ll try to have that by Monday.

And no, this doesn't have anything to do with running, but this is my son...awesome pic so proud :)

No comments:

Post a Comment